id Software last week announced the “biggest and free update” to DOOM Eternal, and the files have already hit the first devices. Players can check out the horde mode, among other things.
Update 6.66 has already been released to DOOM Eternal and the first players can see the news – the files have been sent to Microsoft consoles, PlayStation and PC, and when the patch is ready, it will also be released on the Nintendo Switch.
The biggest novelty in Doom Eternal is the Horde Mode, which allows players to face waves of demons in three missions from the base and add-ons. Those interested fight for the best result and in this case we can count on three additional lives, but the daredevils can unlock more resurrection.
This is the structure of each mission in the horde:
- Arena Round – Arena combat encounter with waves and waves of demons
- Blitz Round – Kill as many demons as you can before time runs out
- Bonus Coin Round (optional) – Collect as many coins as you can before time runs out
- Traversal Round – Navigate a traversal puzzle and collect as many coins as you can before time runs out
- Bonus Blitz Round (optional) – A Blitz round but with Super Heavy demons and Onslaught (damage multiplier) power-ups!
In the case of scoring, the creators decided on the standard – the result is summed up at the end of the round, and players can improve their score for, for example, having extra lives or killing more powerful demons.
Players can earn many additional rewards for completing missions:
However, this is not the end of the news, as update 6.66 also introduces two new Master Levels (Mars Core and The World Spear), and in addition, players can count on the “biggest and most important” patch for BattleMode. The mode is now much more focused on the skills of the players.